Tuesday, March 15, 2011

RW to NY


Scads of stars are visibile in the predawn sky
there are no clouds this morning
and it is not as black out as yesterday
My ears are cold
I do not imagine this March coldness
Frost coated a discarded bottle






I have to mail out tax returns today- the 15th.
I head to The Ridgewood Post office, just remembered on a Crimes site
for the terrible tradgedy that occured here the year before we moved to town.
A disgrunteled worker shot and killed several of his co-workers.
People who were just doing their day to day job-
I remember them today too.


I was not happy when they reduced the hours of the postal workers
but it is convenient to be able to mail items at 6 AM
I really like the people who work here.
they go out of their way to help



I'm trusting you to deliver my mail
The IRS is unforgiving.

My plan was to take the train into the city today.
I missed the train
so made it back to the bus station just in time to catch the express.
I thought it would be fun to be on the same bus as my Ridgewood Ave bus-stop friends.
I get on the 164 Express... only it does not keep going down Ridgewood Ave
but turns on Maple and heads towards Glen Rock and then to Century Road
I
I'm in by 8
On 42nd St. I hear someone calling my name-
It's Elizabeth that I see at the bus stop at Arthur Groom's!
Perfect!
We are in NY at the same time
even though we were on different Express routes.

I end the day at the biggest, most impressive Post Office of all.
It's a full city block.  I'm not sure if it is still only a Post Office.
Inscribed on the front of this building is the famous PO credo
"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" 
How true, especially this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: